The City of Lodi, the Town of Lodi, and the Town of West Point are considering the need and site locations for a new fire station. The City of Lodi also has an interest in constructing a combined public safety building to house the Fire, EMS, and police departments. A 2019 study was conducted to investigate the need. More recently, the City and Towns formed an ad hoc Site Selection Committee to find a new location for the fire station. Using the study completed in 2019 as guidance, the committee made recommendations to the municipalities for possible future sites. The 2019 study concluded that a new fire station is needed mainly due to the lack of sufficient space in the areas evaluated. Additionally, there are several maintenance issues with the current facility.
The committee provided the following guidance in a report to the municipalities for the selection of a site for the new fire station:
- The site must be a minimum of two acres.
- The site must be outside of a 25-year flood event.
- The site must be within current Insurance Services Office guidelines for response times to schools.
- Large lots could be considered if subdivided.
- The use of eminent domain will not be supported.
With this information, the City and the Towns will look to make an informed decision regarding the future location of the Lodi Area Fire Department.